Autopsy Refutes Police Account in Stephon Clark Shooting

Stephon Clark 22 was shot and killed by Sacramento police

Stephon Clark 22 was shot and killed by Sacramento police

A protester sustained minor injuries when she was struck by Sacramento County Sheriff's Department SUV during vigil and march for an unarmed man killed earlier in the week by police, the California Highway Patrol said. Officers warned protesters to move four times before the two vehicles drove forward. A man's voice is heard on loud speaker saying, "Stand back from the cars", and, "Back away from my vehicle".

Kosoff added: "Wanda Cleveland, who was struck by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department vehicle, is a well-known activist in Sacramento, @chabriaa reports, and regularly attends city council meetings". "If I did that I'd be charged", Cleveland told the Sacramento Bee while at the hospital. He was shot eight times - seven times in the back, according to an autopsy requested by his family's attorneys.

"I saw the video from the helicopter (March 29)", Dr. Omalu said.

At one point, it appeared in video that a slowly moving sheriff's vehicle hit a protester but the demonstration continued. It also noted that the vehicle sustained "scratches, dents and a shattered rear window", thanks to "vandals in the crowd".

They're calling for justice for 22-year-old Stephon Clark who was shot March 18 by police who were responding to a call of someone breaking vehicle windows.

Saturday's demonstration brought together a multiracial crowd, many in it holding signs such as "Stop Police Rage" and "Power to the People".

It was led by retired National Basketball Association player Matt Barnes, who grew up in the area. The sheriff's department remains under scrutiny for their role in the shooting death of Stephon Clark. Warning: The below video shows the impact and may be hard to watch.

Cleveland is part of a group of activists that has reportedly attended nearly every City Council meeting for the last three years.

The officers - one of whom is black - were put on leave but days of disruptive protests followed the incident, which has revived a recurring debate over police abuses against African Americans.

Clark, 22, was shot fatally by police in his grandparents' backyard on March 18 as police responded to reports of vandalism in the neighborhood. The officers say they believe Clark pointed a gun at them, but he was only holding a cell phone. Police initially said he was walking toward officers in a menacing way with an object in his hands - later found to be a cellphone - when he was killed.

The rally came a day after a private autopsy released by the family showed Clark was shot six times in the back.

"This independent autopsy affirms that Stephon was not a threat to police and was slain in another senseless police killing under increasingly questionable circumstances", Crump said. Black Lives Matter Sacramento leaders helped diffuse tension at several points, including when protesters had a brief standoff with police by an interstate ramp and later when the police handcuffed a hotel door shut as protesters tried to enter, according to Capital Public Radio.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.