Police move in to remove pipeline protestors from Ironworkers bridge

Trans Mountain pipeline protestors rappel from Vancouver bridge in bid to block oil tankers

Trans Mountain pipeline protestors rappel from Vancouver bridge in bid to block oil tankers

Police have removed all of the pipeline opponents who had been suspended from the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge for almost a day-and-a-half.

The protest began on Tuesday morning when activists rappelled off the side of the bridge to block the Serene Sea, a vessel loaded with crude oil that left from Kinder Morgan Canada's Westridge Marine Terminal.

He said in addition to stopping the tanker traffic, the protest is meant to call attention to the date of July 22, when the Canadian government's deal to buy the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion project completes.

Greenpeace Canada protesters hang from the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge during an aerial blockade of Trans Mountain tanker traffic in Vancouver, BC.

Richard De Jong said police moved in to remove the protesters based on potential danger to themselves, public mischief and the fact they were "jeopardizing the safety of a vessel" under the Canada Shipping Act by preventing ships from leaving Burrard Inlet.

"This is about the safety of the protesters", he said. They had been hanging from the bridge for 36 hours, creating an "aerial blockade" against oil tanker movements. All 12 were taken to the North Vancouver RCMP detachment and released after signing a promise to appear in court October 10.

Police are moving in on a group of protestors dangling from the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge.

"Part of civil disobedience is the open and forthright breaking of certain laws in order to uphold higher morals and higher laws", Greenpeace spokesperson Alex Speers-Roesch said, watching from a distance as the RCMP moved in.

Speers-Roesch said the protesters were exhausted but proud they had been able to halt an oil tanker for as long as they did.

Several demonstrators were taken away in police boats as Mounties removed the activists suspended in air underneath the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge, where they have been blocking oil tanker traffic since early Tuesday morning.

Earlier Wednesday morning, George spoke with the North Shore News, describing his chilly night in a hammock hanging over Burrard Inlet.

Activists form an aerial bridge blockade in the path of a Trans Mountain tar sands oil tanker traffic.

More than 200 people have been arrested in British Columbia for protesting the plan, which opponents say will put coastal communities at grave risk of oil spills and will threaten the area's dwindling orca population with extinction.

The blockade is part of wave of growing resistance against the controversial Trans Mountain Expansion pipeline and tanker project (TMX). "I will do whatever it takes to protect the water and my family and your family", said Will George, an Indigenous Coast Salish member joined the blockade as a climber.

George said his 18 years as a commercial window washer cleaning windows of highrise buildings in downtown Vancouver prepared him to hang from the bridge by a rope, high above Burrard Inlet.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.