First two of Thai soccer team rescued from cave

Thai rescue team members walk inside a cave where 12 boys and their soccer coach have been trapped since June 23 in Mae Sai Chiang Rai province northern Thailand

Thai rescue team members walk inside a cave where 12 boys and their soccer coach have been trapped since June 23 in Mae Sai Chiang Rai province northern Thailand

"The monsoonal pattern is present, meaning rain arriving in waves, which can't be adequately timed as they can escalate quickly", CNN meteorologist Gene Norman said Sunday evening.

He said the healthiest were taken out first, and the next phase of the operation would start in 10-20 hours.

Musk posted videos on Twitter of the aluminum sub being tested Sunday at a swimming pool.

The mini-sub was being tested in California and, if successful, it will be flown on a 17-hour flight to Thailand, a spokesman for Musk's Boring Co. said, adding that Thai officials had requested the device. The rescued boys are still being held in quarantine for testing and have not been able to have direct contact with their parents yet.

Authorities temporarily stopped their efforts Monday to replenish air tanks along the cave's treacherous exit route.

The total number of boys pulled from the cave Monday is four, following the four that were pulled Sunday. After an initial assessment at the site, the plan was to airlift the boys to a makeshift helipad close to the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh hospital, some 70 km away.

The mission to save all the trapped is a race against the clock with heavy rain expected this week which would again flood the tunnels with fast-flowing, rising water.

An update Saturday from the Thai navy said three navy SEALs were with the boys and their coach, one a doctor. The tweets show the submarine being slowly ferried underwater by a team of divers. The boys were dived out from the cave one by one, escorted by two divers at one time.

Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osattanakorn confirmed that four boys had emerged from the cave system, saying they are in "perfect" health. Authorities have brought the group high-protein gels and supplies to last for four months and have been trying to install a phone line. Their condition was not immediately clear.

The rescue operation to save a Thai soccer team from the flooded Tham Luang Nang Non caves in northern Thailand began in earnest on Sunday, with an experienced team of divers rescuing four of the 13 members.

The operation began at 10 a.m.

The boys and their coach became stranded when they went exploring in the cave after a practice game June 23.

Flooding cut off their escape but they were found by British cave diving specialists nine days later, dishevelled and hungry, on a ledge several miles inside the cave.

He said the next operation will be conducted on Tuesday.

"He added: "They can not decide how many of them will be able to come out for the first operation".

The rescue of the first six was a stunning victory in an operation Narongsak had earlier dubbed "Mission Impossible", and led to cautious optimism that the others would also be saved. Previously, the entire round trip through the cave network was thought to take about 11 hours.

A team of Thai Navy SEAL divers reached the boys yesterday, and will guide them out four at a time using a guide rope and oxygen tanks.

"We are very happy with the water situation here", he said. That's the name of the young boys' team.

He said all the boys were in good condition.

Narongsak had dubbed Sunday to be "D-day" as the complicated effort was launched in the morning. Gen. Chalongchai Chaiyakam said.

"After 16 days of waiting, we get to see the faces of the Wild Boars", Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

Onlookers watch and cheer as ambulances deliver boys rescued from a cave in northern Thailand to a hospital in Chiang Rai after they were transported by helicopters on July 8, 2018 in Chiangrai, Thailand. We will have to do the next mission as successfully as the one we did today. Reports say the soccer team and their coach had visited the cave a few years ago. The second boy came out 10 minutes later.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.