Wisconsin man loses both legs after being licked by dog

Greg Manteufel 48 is believed to have contracted the infection after his dog licked him

Greg Manteufel 48 is believed to have contracted the infection after his dog licked him

It's believed a blood infection that resulted in the amputation of a man's legs could have been contracted after he was licked by a dog.

Greg Manteufel, of West Bend, Wisc., landed in the emergency room last month with what he thought was the flu, Fox 6 Now reported.

Mr Manteufel's wife, Dawn, said her husband was the picture of health before contracting the bacteria.

"We can't wrap our heads around it that all of the sudden, he's 48 years old and been around dogs all of his life and this happens", Dawn Manteufel said.

However, after doctors conducted several tests, they discovered Manteufel had actually picked up a infection from the bacteria capnocytophaga, which is commonly found in dog and cat saliva. The disease can cause a very bad sepsis infection, but usually in people who are immunocompromised and usually follows a dog bite. Within hours, he started to go into septic shock, with a rapid drop in blood pressure and bruises appearing all over his body. "Surprisingly enough, they did do it".

In 2016, doctors in London documented the case of a 70-year-old woman who had been infected with Capnocytophaga.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by a family friend to raise funds for prosthetic legs and plastic surgery on Greg's nose.

Dawn said that despite the multiple surgeries and long road of rehab ahead, her her husband feels lucky to be alive.

Doctors snapped into action, first amputating both feet to stop the infection from spreading. Possibly. If you own a cat or dog be aware that Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a normal bacteria that grows in the mouth of up to 60% of dogs and 17% of cats. "This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told the Milwaukee Patch. The woman recovered after two weeks in an intensive-care unit, says the report, which aptly called the sepsis-causing bacteria the "lick of death". The people most at risk for this infection are those with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC. While the infection had been seen before in people who'd been bitten by dogs, the doctors noted it was highly unusual that this woman apparently contracted it from her dog who had licked her.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.