One dead, several wounded after Saudi Arabia 'intercepts Yemen missile'

Yemen is in the grip of a brutal civil war

Yemen is in the grip of a brutal civil war

Fragments from the Houthi missile launched at Jizan Industrial City killed one Yemeni civilian and wounded 11, Saudi state media said earlier on Thursday.

The airstrike hit a bus that was ferrying civilians, including many school children, the elders said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

The International Committee for the Red Cross said a hospital it supports in Saada had received 29 bodies of "mainly children" younger than 15, and 40 injured, including 30 children.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. was "concerned" by reports of an attack resulting in civilian deaths.

The Western-backed alliance fighting the Iranian-aligned Houthi group in Yemen said in a statement that the air strikes targeted missile launchers used to attack the southern Saudi city of Jizan on Wednesday, killing a Yemeni civilian there.

The Yemen war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than 2 million and driven the country to the verge of starvation, according to the United Nations.

"We are trying to get rid of the arms manifestations in the province, and to carry on the efforts exerted by the UAE to counter the terrorism groups in Yemen", Col Mohammed Salem Al Buhar, commander of the elite forces in Shabwa, told The National.

The Houthis' Al-Masirah TV, quoting the rebel health ministry, reported that 50 people were killed and 77 wounded, "mostly children", though it was not possible to verify that toll. "Our non-combat support focuses on improving coalition processes and procedures, especially regarding compliance with the law of armed conflict and best practices for reducing the risk of civilian casualties", the statement added.

The Iran-backed Houthis have in recent months ramped up missile attacks against Saudi Arabia, which Riyadh usually says it intercepts.

The UK and United States has been criticised for providing logistical and military support to the Saudi-led coalition.

Wednesday's attack brings the tally to 165 rebel missiles launched since 2015, according to the coalition, which that year joined the Yemeni government's fight against Huthi rebels.

A State Department spokeswoman expressed concern over the airstrike, and called for the Saudi-led coalition to investigate.

It is with the stated aim of dislodging the Houthis, and restoring the previous government, that the Sunni coalition has waged a years-long airstrike campaign in the country with the support of the U.S. Since large-scale fighting erupted in 2015, the ensuing violence has left more than 10,000 people killed and the country's health infrastructure so badly battered, almost 18 million Yemenis lack reliable access to food. Just last week at least 55 people died in the city during a particularly bloody exchange of fire in residential areas and outside a hospital.

"It is beyond cruel; innocent children's lives have been lost".

Earlier this week, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, convened a consultative meeting in the United Kingdom of 22 Yemeni public figures and women activists as part of his efforts to end the war.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.